Sunday, August 29, 2010

Have a leech?

My younger sons and I are going up to the Renaissance Faire today. I started taking them when they were small and they get into it...costumes, swords, the works. I love the whole cheesy shtick!
I also love Monty Python, and Terry Jones in particular, who has become a world-class historian. His exposes of historical misconceptions are particularly acute. Had I not become a scientist/clinician I'd have become a history professor.
This series has a piece on the Philosopher, which in the context of the Middle Ages was a natural scientist. I actually show it in my classes at times to emphasize how science is a lengthy and group-based process, not a punctuated lineage of brilliant iconoclasts. It also points out that some of the practices of science at the time (NOT including bleeding) were not so "primitive" as we like to think. Even alchemy, which was actually Newton's first love, grew into modern chemistry.
The issue at hand is SCIENTIFIC LITERACY, which includes a basic understanding of the history of science; we cannot understand the science of NOW and the FUTURE unless we understand the science of THEN.
Plus Terry Jones is hilarious and the Renaissance Faire is a unique way to have some good, dirty (the fairgrounds are almost medieval in construction) fun. And the turkey legs are actually pretty tasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment