Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Giant Microbes!!

A few years back, when I started teaching, my youngest son Jonathan turned me on to this website. I have used the products as prizes for 6th graders and now as "souvenirs" for my college students. Cute and cuddly, they still remind us that we are playing against the Red Queen (see Matt Ridley's book of that name for details). Pictured is MRSA, methicillin resistant S. aureus, a "superbug". Cute but DEADLY! Wash those hands!

SCIENTIFIC LITERACY NOTE: Microbial organisms are NOT "bugs"; in fact, insects in general are not "bugs". True bugs are the Hemiptera, a large family of insect, characterized by hard "shells" that are actually part of their forewings, a specific pattern of wing overlap, and a distinctive leg anatomy. Stink bugs are true bugs!

2 comments:

  1. The Red Queen is one of my favorite books! On this note, Better by Atul Gawande also provides excelent reasons for hand-washing with his experiences, too! Cool blog Dr. Smith!

    ReplyDelete