Thursday, March 28, 2013

Reality

I am a monist as well as a theist. I do not believe that these positions are in conflict. In fact, I think it takes believing in a rather weak god to embrace dualism, because such indicates this god is not powerful or creative enough to make a complete being, and is essentially another pitiful attempt by humans to put themselves at the center of creation.

We now know that the brain is far more complex and plastic than ever imagined. It has more than enough "room" for the mind, the body, the brain, and a whole lot more. Invoking magic simply isn't necessary. It's a cop-out, intellectually dishonest, and, in my view, even blasphemous.

In addition, reliance on the "supernatural" also indicates that the god of the dualist isn't big enough to handle a reality that includes an infinite universe that is by definition unknowable by the finite. To that kind of god I say, "No,thanks."

No comments:

Post a Comment