Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Follow the carbons....

Organic chemistry is the chemistry of carbon, the basic atom of life. I am not sure who coined the phrase "carbon-based life form" but in our case it's true of all life on Earth. When dealing with the chemistry of life, the simplest way to not get lost is to follow the carbons.
"O Chem" is also the most infamous pre-med course in history. It is THE "make-or-break class. A "C" completely destroys ones chances of getting in to medical school. In my case I had two quarters of lecture and one of lab; I got an "A" one quarter in lecture and an "A" in lab and a "B" my second quarter of lecture. I vividly remember that the only question I ever got during med school interviews about my grades was about that one "B". Seriously.
BUT organic chemistry can be fun! Really. Just follow the bouncing carbon ball....

No comments:

Post a Comment