Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Testing, testing, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5....

Each of my classes has an exam (or two) this week of one sort or another. Students are tested relentlessly; I have taken countless exams over the years; testing is ruining public education.
But I believe that assessments can be used as learning tools, and that's what I try to make mine. I minimize Levels I-III issues (using Bloom's Taxonomy) and emphasize higher order thinking skills. As such, I employ essays whenever possible that ask students to think about what they know and always allow open book/open notes, which students come to learn (!) can be actually more difficult than otherwise! But the feedback has always been that they learn more from this method.
I think I have been successful in both reducing the stress associated with them and making exams more useful. And I certainly enjoy the process more.

No comments:

Post a Comment