Saturday, September 4, 2010

The incredible human body...

...graceful even in death.
The Body World exhibits are phenomenal. I saw them in D.C. and was truly amazed at the artistry. Certainly compared to many of the ways in which I have see the human body, dead and alive, treated this was exceptionally beautiful, and certainly not "gross" at all.
I was also impressed by the respectful "aura" of the exhibit. These people, I felt, would be proud to see how their contribution to science turned out. I would be happy to be "immortalized" this way.
There are rumors that some of the bodies came from prison camps in China. There is absolutely no documentation that this is true and even if it were this would still be a respectful "end." Humans are irrational about their dead. The soul is eternal in its way, the body, by being returned to the Earth, is in another.
I highly recommend the book Stiff, by Mary Roach, a fascinating look at what happens to bodies after death. There is a link to the Body Worlds site posted below.

No comments:

Post a Comment